Directions (Q. 1-5): Study the following information carefully to answer the questions given below: P, Q, R, S, T, V and W are seven friends who left for seven different destinations—Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Kolkata, Chandigarh and Jaipur—each one on a different day of the week. R left for Jaipur on Monday.On the last day of the week the person left for Bangalore. T left the next day of P, who left for Chandigarh and on the previous day of W. S left for Kolkata on Friday. Q did not leave for either Hyderabad or Bangalore and W left for Delhi.
1. On which day of the week did Q leave?
1) Sunday 2) Saturday 3) Wednesday 4) Data inadequate 5) None of these
2. Who left for Bangalore?
1) T 2) P 3) V 4) Data inadequate 5) None of these
3. On which day of the week did T leave?
1) Tuesday 2) Thursday 3) Sunday 4) Wednesday 5) None of these
4. Which of the following combinations of person-place is not correct?
1) R—Jaipur 2) P—Chandigarh 3) T—Hyderabad 4) V—Bangalore 5) All are correct
5. Who left on Tuesday?
1) P 2) W 3) Q 4) V 5) None of these
Directions (Q. 6-10): In each of the questions below, two statements are given followed by two conclusions numbered I and II. You have to take the two statements to be true even if they seem to be at variance with commonly known facts and then decide which of the given conclusions logically follows from the given statements, disregarding commonly known facts. Give answer
1) if only conclusion I follows.
2) if only conclusion II follows.
3) if either conclusion I or conclusion II follows.
4) if neither conclusion I nor conclusion II follows.
5) if both conclusions I and II follow.
6. Statements : All scooters are vehicles.
No vehicle is a four-wheeler.
Conclusions : I.All scooters being four-wheelers is a possibility.
II.Some four-wheelers may be scooters.
7. Statements : Some pencils are black.
Some pens are pencils.
Conclusions : I.Some pencils are pens.
II.No pen is black.
8. Statements : No doctor is rich.
All professionals are doctors.
Conclusions : I.Some rich which are not doctors may be professionals.
II.Some rich being professional is a possibility.
9. Statements : Some poor are honest.
Some honest are sharp.
Conclusions : I.Some poor being sharp or honest is a possibility.
II.At least some poor will be sharp.
10. Statements : All shares are debentures.
No debenture is an equity.
Conclusions : I.At least some equities are not share.
II.That an equity is a share is a possibility.
1. Here, seven friends are: P, Q, R, S, T, V and W Seven destinations are: Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Kolkata, Chandigarh and Jaipur. Let us proceed with the following direct information: R — Jaipur—Monday; Bangalore—Saturday; P — Chandigarh; S — Kolkata — Friday; W — Delhi With the help of above information we get the following table
Let us use indirect information. Since Q did not leave for either Hyderabad or Banglore, the above table helps us conclude that Q left for Chennai.
Now, Theft the next day of P’ s departure and on previous day of W’s. According to the above table, P and W did not depart on Monday, Saturday or Friday. T did not depart on Monday or Friday.
Now P can’t depart on Sunday or Thursday because T did not depart on Monday or Friday respectively. P can’t departure on Wednesday because W did not departured on Friday. Hence, by elimination, P left for Chandigarh on Tuesday, T left for its destination on Wednesday and W left for Delhi on Thursday. Now look upon table II.
Now, since Tleft for his destination on Wednesday, it is obvious that T’s destination is Hyderabad.
By elimination, V is going to Banglore, and Q left for Chennai on Sunday.
Hence, the above information can be summarised as follow:
6. 4; All scooters are vehicles + No vehicle is a four-wheeler = A + E = E = No schooter is a four-wheeler. Hence neither I nor II follows.
7. 1; Some pens are pencils (I) –> conversion –> Some pencils are pens (I). Hence I follows. Some pens are pencils + Some pencisl are black = I + I = No conclusion. Hence II does not follow.
8. 4; All professionals are doctor + No doctor is rich = A + E = E = No professional is rich –> conversion –> No rich is professional (E).
9. 1; I + I = No conclusion. So possibilities are open (hence I follows) but certainties are not (hence II does not follow).
10. 4; All shares are debentures + No debentures is an equity = A + E = E = No share is an equity –> conversion –> No equity is a share (E) –> Some equities are not shares (O). Hence I and II does not follow