Directions (Q. 1-5): Study the following information carefully and answer the questions given below. Cotton acreage in India during the current year has fallen by 15% as cotton growers have moved on to cultivation of other cash crops. This is the result of the cotton glut in world markets in post-September 2008 and the consequent slowdown in the world economy. But this scenario brought with it benefits to one segment of the industry yarn manufacturers as they got higher prices for their produce. Some yarn manufacturers too had stuck up on low-priced cotton last year. The combined effect of all this is evident in the rise in net profits and net margins of yarn manufacturers.
1. Which of the following conclusions can be drawn from the facts stated in the above paragraph?
1) Now cotton acreage will never face a crisis like the crisis of September 2008.
2) There has been a huge drop in the supply of cotton during the current year.
3) USA is the largest producer and consumer of cotton.
4) Cotton growers are no more interested in production of cotton.
5) None of these
2. What we can say about the following statement? “There has been shortage of cotton in the world market last year.”
1) Definitely true 2) Definitely false 3) Probably true 4) Probably false 5) Nothing can be said
3. Which of the following will strengthen the following statement? “The farmers will again grow cotton next year due to increased price of cotton yarn.”
1) Govt plans to increase subsidy on cash crops including cotton.
2) There is a high alert in entire Europe due to terrorist threats.
3) Alternative cash crops are evergreen and unaffected by an economic slowdown.
4) Govt is planning to import more cotton from abroad.
5) None of these
4. Which of the following may be a suitable title for the above passage?
1) Terrorism–A big threat to economy 2) The rise and fall in cotton industry
3) India post-September 2008 4) The slowdown in US ecomomy 5) None of these
5. Which of the following inferences can be drawn from the statements in the above passage?
1) Indian economy has been unaffected by any global slowdown.
2) India was affected most in the world due to global economy slowdown.
3) The world economy witnessed an upward trend during pre-September 2008.
4) Govt should discourage the production of cotton and encourage shifting to other cash crops.
5) None of these
Directions (Q. 6-10): In each of the questions given below, which of the following five Answer Figures on the right should come after the Problem Figures on the left, if the sequence were continued?
1. 2; From the very first sentence of the passage, this conclusion can be drawn.
2. 5; Nothing is said about the market condition of last year.
3. 1; Obviously increased subsidy will encourage them to grow more
5. 3; Though nothing is mentioned about pre-September 2008 scenario, from the tenor of the passage it may be possible.
6. 1; Two of the elements interchange positions, while the other three shift one step CW in a cyclic order.
8. 2; In each subsequent figure, the middle design and one of the four Vs are inverted.
9. 1; From figure I to II the inner elements interchange positions with opposite elements while the outer elements shift one side CW
10.1; Figure (1) to (2): The upper-right element interchanges place with the right. The second from upper right interchanges with the middle left. The second from middle left goes to the lower right second to the lower right second to the middle left while a new element replaces the second from middle right.