Directions (Q. 1– 10):Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions given below it. Today, in this ultra modern world, the role of media and particularly of print media has been augmenting day by day. It has been serving as a vigilant watch dog of India. Print Media has created awareness among the people regarding their rights and duties. Print Media has created awareness among the people regarding their rights and duties. Print Media has been nicknamed as ‘News Monger’ or the fourth Estate. We can update ourselves just by going through the morning news paper, getting each and every kind of news form every nook and corner of the world. It is due to the effect of the Print media that people associated with robberies, thefts, murder, rapes, drugs and alcoholism are working in an apprehension of being caught and recognized. They are now constantly under fear of being caught by the law enforcing agencies. Through this medium we get news about things happening around us-good as well as bad. Even people involved in wrong or unethical business know the power and potential of Print Media and probably this is the only reason that they are conducting their unethical business in a suppressed manner. It is the only ray of hope through which ‘India’ can see a better tomorrow. There has a worldwide growth of the print media even after the emergency of the electronic media. There has been an increase in the circulation of newspapers around the world even after the emergence of electronic media and the internet. The newspaper does play a very important role in the working of any democracy. Our Constitution too great us the Right to Freedom of Expression which is manifested, in free press in our country. In a democracy, newspapers are the best way of educating people politically and socially. They play a decisive role not only in updating the public but also in formulating a well balanced public opining. The public reads about the current event, interprets them and learns to intelligently participate in
the political, social and economic affairs of the country. Print media also works as a bridge between the government and the people. People get to know about the latest policies of the government and it also builds up the public opining, there like, disliking or demands. In fact, Newspaper is the vox populi or voice of the people in any country. It is the common man’s university, giving lesson on life at large. They are powerful vehicle for propaganda. The common man finds the leaves of thought form the newspapers so that he can formulate his own opinions, ideas and judgment about the issues that press the current political, economic and social scenario. In the past , the critical situation like the Chinese aggression against India , the Sino-Soviet rift , the negotiations between the countries on issues regarding disarmament or nuclear test been proposals, the Pakistani invasion, formation of Bangladesh, party wrangles etc, have been handled with great maturity by the press. Newspaper also reflects public opining thus formed through letters to the edition which are usually published in a separate column. Moreover, print media provides great incentive to business by large number of advertisement on a variety of things as a house on sale, shop, electronic good, stationary, cloth stores, glass ware, crockery shop etc. Matrimonial advertisement, job-opportunities, obituaries are all advertised through the print media. The Print media, if used unwisely, for satisfying personal greed, and without any through towards personal responsibility can be extremely harmful for the health of any society. If used so, instead of providing nourishment to the society it can function as a parasite and destroy the essentials of the society. They can instead of creating, leaving the society hollow and fragile.
1. Which of the following facts is true as per the passage ?
1) The public's point of view is changed by the way the news is reported.
2) The print media has a powerful effect on politics.
3) The print media is called the fourth branch of government.
4) All of the above 5) None of these
2. Which of the following is an adverse impact of print media ?
A) The print media strengthened nations of nationalism.
B) It makes knowledge more accessible to all, and has had dramatic effects on our culture and society.
C) They satiate the people's hunger for trivial information and rumours.
D) The print media creates buzz by hyping the issues with flowery words and provoking descriptions.
1) Only C 2) Either A or B 3) Both C and D 4) All A, B, C and D 5) None of these
3. Which of the following strengthen the statement about "Newspaper is the vax populi or voice of the people in any country"with respect to the passage ?
1) Many people believe that what is depicted by the media is true and acceptable, altering their judgement and causing altercations.
2) The media gives people a way to connect with the government and the society to express their views and problems.
3) Media is responsible for influencing a major part of our daily life.
4) Media is a vast form of communication that permeates nearly every aspect of modern culture.
5) None of these
4. What is meant by the word 'News Monger' as used in the passage ?
1) A group that is active in gathering and repeating news; especially gossip.
2) Media contribute to a transformation in the cultural and social values of the masses.
3) Media tends to tear apart individual people.
4) Media is good in monitored amounts of exposure.
5) None of these
5. Which of the following is not a function of print media ?
1) The media is not only an important source of news and opinions but also entertainment.
2) It transforms a feudal society into a modern one.
3) Increasing of public awareness and collect the views, information and attitudes toward, certain issue.
4) To promote the right things on right time and gives a real as well as strong aspects of the world.
5) None of these
Direction (Q. 6 – 8) : Choose the word which is most SIMILAR in meaning of the word printed in bold as used in the passage.
1) Ignorant 2) Magnify 3) Discourage 4) Alert 5) Shrink
1) Strengthen 2) Abridge 3) Acute 4) Thoughtless 5) Impulsive
1) Sanction 2) Compliment 3) Conceal 4) Censor 5) Boost
Direction (Q. 9 –10) : Choose the word which is most nearly the OPPOSITE in meaning as the word printed in bold as
used in the passage.
1) Inconclusive 2) Crucial 3) Crisp 4) Settled 5) Positive
1) Suspicion 2) Disquiet 3) Presentiment 4) Foreboding 5) Belief