1. Why has the author cited the example of Jatayu of the Ramayana in the opening line of the passage?
(A) To show that Jatayu had an excellent vision while our government does not.
(B) Jatayu never used pain-relieving medicines while the government allowed the use of pain-relieving drug, Diclofenac, which killed a large number of vultures.
(C) To ridicule the short-sightedness of the government.
1) Only (A) 2) Only (B) 3) Only (C) 4) Only (A) and (B) 5) None of these
2. Why has the author expressed the opinion that the birds will be happier without humans on earth, but humans cannot survive without birds?
1) Because humans have caused much harm to birds.
2) Because in the absence of birds, the number of insects and rodents will become so large that they will leave nothing for the human beings to eat.
3) Because in the absence of birds, the farmers will be compelled to use huge quantities of pesticides that will ultimately cause great harm to human beings.
4) As human beings are the greatest threat for birds, in their absence, birds will be free from danger.
5) All the above
3. Which of the following is incorrect about the natural ways of insect control?
1) All birds are insectivores and prey on insects, their eggs and larvae.
2) According to an observation, a pair of starlings brought food like caterpillars, grasshoppers to its nestlings 370 times a day.
3) As per an observation, a house sparrow brought food to its nestlings 260 times a day.
4) A German ornithologist estimated that a single pair of tits and their progeny destroyed 120 million eggs of insects a year.
5) All the above are correct
4. Which of the following is correct about the importance of birds, as mentioned in the given passage?
1) Birds help in dispersal of seeds and pollination of flowers.
2) The extinction of Dodo led to the extinction of an indigenous tree because without the dodo the shell of the fruit which was dissolved in its gizzard could not be removed and its germination was not possible.
3) An owl hunts 2-3 rats in a night and thus the damage caused by the rats is checked.
4) Only 2) and 3)
5) All 1), 2) and 3)
Directions (Q. 5-7): Choose the word/group of words which is MOST SIMILAR in meaning to the word printed in bold as used in the passage.
1) friend 2) foe 3) victim 4) predator 5) pious
1) Bird specialist 2) Rodent specialist 3) Insect specialist 4) Liver specialist 5) Bone specialist
1) classifying 2) clarifying 3) cleansing 4) flying 5) running
Directions (Q. 8-10): Choose the word/group of words which is MOST OPPOSITE in meaning to the word printed in bold as used in the passage.
1) removal 2) scattering 3) selection 4) collection 5) justification
1) misuse 2) harm 3) abuse 4) excessive use 5) development
1) virulent 2) fatal 3) pernicious 4) deadly 5) little
1. 3 , 2. 5 , 3. 1 , 4. 5 , 5. 3 , 6. 1 , 7. 3, 8. 4 , 9. 5 , 10. 5